ATEG Archives

October 1999

From:
"Aaron D. Profitt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 10:40:29 -0500
It seems to me that "begging the question" comes from logic/argument,
and means answer a question (ie, challenge) in a way that leaves the
question unanswered, often because the supposed answer presupposes a
certain answer to the given question.  To quote from my reason and
argument text (_Understanding Arguments_ by Robert Fogelin and Walter
Sinnott-Armstrong), "An argument is question begging if it relies,
either explicity or implicitly, on things that, in the argumentative
context, are matters of dispute" (p. 350).  Their example is:
(Premise 1)  It's always wrong to murder human beings.
(P2)  Capital punishment involves murdering human beings.
(Conclusion)  Capital punishment is wrong.

The problem, of course, is that P2 presupposes the validity of the
conclusion.

Aaron D. Profitt
--
Aaron D. Profitt