ATEG Archives

October 1999

From:
Helene Krauthamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:04:13 -0400
Not that I really want to enter or revive the discussion on this expression, but here it is in an article I came upon in Masterfile:

 ARE COMPUTERS AND THE INTERNET MAKING
                       US LAZY WRITERS?

  There's no substitute for effective writing, but technology can make us better communicators.
It's true. There still are many communicators pounding out copy on typewriters. Even
 manual typewriters. I personally know of two solo PR practitioners, both with decent
 big-city accounts, who still prepare press releases manually. And it seems that it was
 not much more than a couple of years ago that a major suburban magazine was still
 being produced by typewriter and typesetter.

 This begs the question, not necessarily rhetorical: Can the computer or the Internet
 make its user a good writer?

      Source: Editor's Workshop, Oct96 Issue N, p12, 1p.

      Item Number: 9610120301

<<< Reinhold Schlieper <[log in to unmask]> 10/19  3:30p >>>
No need to apologize; it's OK to disagree.  And yet, "human" also varies between
"featherless biped" and "rational animal," the latter being under assault
continually with insights into dolphins and chimps, no?   There may even be a
context in which Socrates may be considered "immortal" or nothing at all--if he
were to be a mere rhetorical device of Plato's, no?

Ahhh, the relativity of it all, ne c'est pas?

==Cheers, Reinhold