ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
"Kathleen M. Ward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:42:55 -0800
This question brings back memories!

I suspect that no one, even people on the far side of seventy,
actually says "Land sakes" any more, but it used to be a very mild
oath, usable by the most prim and proper types.  I associate it
myself with older, mostly rural women (but that may be because the
older women in my urban family were, shall we say, plain-spoken to a
fault).

It's probably an expurgated version of "For the Lord's sake," which
gets "cleaned up" so that  it no longer features the name of the
diety.

Kathleen Ward