From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Martin Platts
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: den 17 januari 2001 21:16
Subject: poem

Does anyone know on the list where this poem came from since it fits well into my research DUI and wine for my book but cannot place it. Tried the library at the University and I was told I need more information. I found it in a parchment format in a second-hand book shop. The owner said it has been there for as long as she can remember tucked into another book.

When the palace is wild of lust,
And the country is wild for hunting;
When wine is sweet, and music the delight;
When there are lofty roofs and carved walls;
The existence of any one of these things
Has never been but the prelude to ruin.
J.L.

Who is JL?

I guess it could be James Legge but then that stretching it a little..even by my standards. However, if it is then maybe it is Chinese. However, I came up empty handed when I looked his work up.
Martin