From: Richard Veit, UNCW English Department [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 4:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: generative grammar

Generative grammar, as generally presented, is complex, abstruse, formula-intensive, and forbidding to lay persons--not surprising since much of the work is done by math types who are strangers to clear writing.

We shouldn't assume, however, that the subject is closed to others. I teach a required college grammar course to education and English majors, and the model we use is generative. Many, if not most, students enter the class with low expectations (often with outright dread). On the first day I always enjoy "betting" my students that at the end of the course they will write on the anonymous course evaluations that the course was fun for them. In the great majority of cases, I win my bet. To their surprise, students find they like the course, say they learned a lot, give high evaluations, and develop a love for grammar.

One strength of a generative approach is that is tries to create a model not just of sentence structure but also of how we actually produce those sentences. Because the available generative texts didn't meet my students' needs, I wrote my own. The book's approach is generative, but with methodology taking a back seat to content: learning the grammar of English.

As a former primary and secondary teacher, I've always believed a generative approach is adaptable to high schools and even the lower grades. I've had a long-term goal of creating a high school text, but other book projects and administrative duties have always intervened. I hope someone else creates such a text. It wouldn't be for everybody, but grammar teachers would benefit from a choice of approaches.

Dick Veit
University of North Carolina at Wilmington

Discovering English Grammar, 2nd edition:
   http://www.uncwil.edu/people/veit/DEG/