This item is in fact still and important reference source.  It is filled
with information.  Of course it has a "dry" bias--it was prepared by a
branch of the Anti-Saloon League.  Nevertheless, I use it all of the
time.  I own a personal set.

To have these volumes digitized would require some sort of foundation
grant, and a publisher willing to host it somewhere.

I think it is a matter worth pursuing.

At 07:45 AM 4/12/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Arguably, the most important reference work in temperance history is the
>Standard Encyclopedia of the Alcohol Problem, 6 vols., ed. Ernest Hurst
>Cherrington (Westerville, Ohio: American Issue, 1925-30), which tried to
>cover the entire world.  Would it be worth the trouble of somebody to scan
>it and place it on the Web?  A number of larger reference works published
>early in the 20th century are available on the Web.  What would be the
>problems?  What would be required to post the Standard Encyclopedia?  Is
>the print version readily available to researchers?

K. Austin Kerr                   e-mail [log in to unmask]
Professor of History             office (614)292-2613
Ohio State University            department  292-2674
Columbus, Ohio 43210 USA         fax    (614)292-2282