Yes, and (for me) this is another demonstration of how prolific these attachments are becoming; fortunately I have learned the hard way not to open incongruent attachments like this one.  And it seems that .exe attachments surely spell disaster.  I am email attachment-shy, congruents and incongruents alike, and would like experience from others about proceeding safely.
Barney Rickenbacker
Cary, NC

"K. Austin Kerr" wrote:

This morning my anti virus software intercepted an attachment sent to this listserv.

The offending attachment is CHLINST.EXE

After Norton Anti Virus repaired my computer, the computer crashed.

If you have not updated your anti-virus software in the last week or so, you I would advise you to do so now.  For safety sake, I am going to have my software scan my entire computer this morning.

K. Austin Kerr                   e-mail [log in to unmask]
Professor of History             office (614)292-2613
Ohio State University            department  292-2674
Columbus, Ohio 43210 USA         fax    (614)292-2282