I forwarded some of the postings on this thread to some friends of mine in the Society for Creative Anachronism...Thought some of them might have more information on medieval/Roman drinking habits.  Here's what I got back.  Hope it will help somebody.  :)
Regards,
Leslie King
-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sunday, April 15, 2001 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: [shadowedstars] Fw: Alcohol

In a message dated 4/15/01 9:43:39 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>> One possible exception to this is the ale of
>beer
>the

Ok all!,
        this is what I know about beer in the middle ages. There is two or
more types of basic beer. There was beer that was brewed on a daily basis
for
consumption with in a day or two. This is where we get the term 'Alewife"
these were woman that did the brewing. Ale like this would have a very low
alcohol content. It was the drink of choice for all members of the family.
just enough alcohol to kill the bad stuff in the local water.
       The second would have brewed for longer and had been mostly for the
rich or made by merchants as they had space to waste on the barrels. I
would
suggest that this would have a much higher alcohol content.
Beer than was more like food. The grains would/might have been free
floating
and a high calorie drink. I have seen period glass wear with tangs in the
glass to stir the grain in the beer.
    As to Romans drinking. There was the general social view that to drink
straight wine was uncouth. it was diluted 10 to one for a proper drink.
However remember it was often of a very poor quality compared to modern
wine.
That did not mean it prevented anyone from abuseing it.

Aminah