Asking for suggestions for a possible course on "alcohol & other drugs,"
probably for what at my university is called a senior capstone that
combines fairly extensive reading with a research paper.  Some years ago I
did such a course with a focus on the Anglo-American experience with
alcohol and temperance.  I think that I erred then in encouraging narrower
research topics than the undergraduates were qualified to attempt.  Now I
am thinking about broad topics based on secondary literature, but I am
still feeling my way.  By the way, a colleague has been successful for
several years with a course on coffee (which also has produced a few
conference papers and articles).