Pubs and progressives :
reinventing the public house in England, 1896-1960 / Northern Illinois University Press, 2004
ISBN: 0875803350 (clothbound : alk. paper); LCCN: 2004-16973
Contents: Transatlantic progressivism -- Missionaries behind the bar -- The Carlisle experiment -- "Fewer and better" in Birmingham -- Brewers and the progressive spirit -- Building coalitions -- Return of the licensed victualler -- Gentrifying the pub -- Familiarity breeds contentment -- Bricks, mortar, and beer -- A contested legacy.

I discovered the details for this new book (written by our immediate past president, David W. Gutzke) on the library database WorldCat.  Since only one library claims the book (the Library of Congress for cataloging information), we shall have to wait a bit before Gutzke's monograph is available for us to read.