From: [log in to unmask]
Full-name: Glfprncs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:04:15 EST
Subject: diagramming
To: [log in to unmask]

--part2_e0.6afdd4e.2ecbef7f_boundary

Many of you know, I'm an 8th grade teacher of writing and grammar in Georgia
(B.A. from O.S.U. and M. Ed. from Ohio U.) with 150 students in 5 classes.
Anyhow, I've been reviewing parts of speech with my darlings (we're talkign
BASICS ... nouns/pronouns, verbs (action and linking), adj., adv., prep. phrases,
d.o. and pred. nom. and pred. adj.), and some of them STILL just don't get it.
 Thus, I've dusted off my Dru Riley Everts incomplete grammar book and
started diagramming sentences with my students.  They all moaned and groaned at
first, BUT, they all agree that diagramming is FORCING them to see the connections
between parts of speech that they didn't see before (plus, they like to go to
the board to diagram their sentence).

Anyhow, for the past decade, diagramming was 'considered' taboo; something
old school that wasn't worthy of our time.  Are times changing?  Can we diagram
in peace, since we realize that diagramming is just an old fashioned graphic
organizer that really does help many students decipher a sentence's
construction?

Thoughs, comments and criticisms from you all would be greatly appreciated.

--part2_e0.6afdd4e.2ecbef7f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  COLOR=3D"#008080" SIZE=3D2 P=
TSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" FACE=3D"Calisto MT" LANG=3D"0"><B>Many of you kn=
ow, I'm an 8th grade teacher of writing and grammar in Georgia (B.A. from O.=
S.U. and M. Ed. from Ohio U.) with 150 students in 5 classes.&nbsp; Anyhow,=20=
I've been reviewing parts of speech with my darlings (we're talkign BASICS .=
.. nouns/pronouns, verbs (action and linking), adj., adv., prep. phrases, d.=
o. and pred. nom. and pred. adj.), and some of them STILL just don't get it.=
&nbsp; Thus, I've dusted off my Dru Riley Everts incomplete grammar book and=
 started diagramming sentences with my students.&nbsp; They all moaned and g=
roaned at first, BUT, they all agree that diagramming is FORCING them to see=
 the connections between parts of speech that they didn't see before (plus,=20=
they like to go to the board to diagram their sentence).<BR>
<BR>
Anyhow, for the past decade, diagramming was 'considered' taboo; something o=
ld school that wasn't worthy of our time.&nbsp; Are times changing?&nbsp; Ca=
n we diagram in peace, since we realize that diagramming is just an old fash=
ioned graphic organizer that really does help many students decipher a sente=
nce's construction?<BR>
<BR>
Thoughs, comments and criticisms from you all would be greatly appreciated.<=

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</B></FONT></HTML>