Good Day Colleagues,
I am the archivist at a mid-size museum in Prescott, AZ with a photo
collection of around 100,000 photos which serves a very large geographical
area. Recently, we recieved a request from a producer of the Discovery
Channel to use a still photo in their documentary. Our current commercial
use fee policy is $100 to use per 10,000 copies, (i.e. 50,000 copies=$500).
I have been reviewing ohter repositories policies, and it seems that film
and TV fees are desperatly under-charged. Since the policy at my archives is
based on a production basis, how might one determine the production
(distribution) of a Discovery Channel Documentary? Worldwide publication?
All-Media worldwide publication? What I have found is that most repositories
only charge $200 or less for TV and film fees, and I find this to be under
priced. Please give me some feedback on what you might suggest I do in this
situation; to either change our policy, demand a distribution number for the
documentary to place pricing on, or reserve the right to deal with each
situation on a one by one basis. Thank you.

Ryan Flahive
Archivist, Sharlot Hall Museum
928.445.3122