Laurie,

            Bruce Stark has published some estimates of processing rates in
his 2001 __Guide For Processing Manuscripts Collections__ (pp. 53-54), which
I've found very useful.  While acknowledging that processing rates differ
from collection to collection, he identifies four categories of collections
with descending processing rates relative to the complexity of the material.
The range is broad:  from 40 hours per linear foot for collections that have
to be described at the item level to 10 hours per linear foot for
collections that have no significant organizational problems and mainly need
reboxing, refoldering, listing, and describing of the contents of the
papers.  Four hours per linear foot does not seem reasonable to me for
processing any collection on average.

Laura McLemore, Ph.D., C.A.

Archivist

Archives and Special Collections

Noel Memorial Library

LSU Shreveport

One University Place

Shreveport, LA 71115

318-797-5378

Fax: 318-797-5156

 "He who destroyes a good Booke, kills reason it selfe" -- John Milton

  _____