We generally keep all the items together rather than separate them.
Joan, while my preference in boxing is to keep artifacts separate from
the papers (e.g.  box 1 papers, box 2 papers, box 3 "artifacts")...many
of these are small items and almost don't merit a box.   I have visited
a museum archives which decided to order boxes to FIT each of the
small sizes...their storage area was horrendous as on the shelves
there could be 5-10 boxes of different sizes....stacked much like the
old hat boxes of closets.   This created all kinds of problems in moving,
shifting, falling, nooks for dust, etc.    Guess what I'm saying is to try
to keep your boxes uniform.   You can put small boxes inside standard
document boxes....I would not try to have lots of different size boxes
on the shelf.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections/West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750