Terry,

I agree that four hours is a bit short. However, we all must keep in
mind that your study was published in 1985. As we are all aware 1985
hours are different than 2005 hours. Why I can remember sitting class
listening to professors drone as the hours dragged by. Now there are not
enough hours in a day. So maybe you can adjust your matrix to account
for the quantum shift in time, maybe apply string or chaos theory or
something.

Chris Flynn

Laurie,

   Four hours per foot seems awfully low to me. I would estimate closer
20 per foot for the unprocessed group and ten per foot for the
reprocessing. You might look at our article in American Archivist:

"What is backlog is prologue: a measurement of archival processing," by
Terry Abraham, Stephen E. Balzarini, and Anne Frantilla. The American
Archivist, 48:1 (Winter 1985) 31-44.

  There have been a few other articles since.

    ---Terry

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
Terry Abraham   Special Collections, University of Idaho
<http://www.lib.uidaho.edu/special-collections/>

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Laurie Langland wrote:

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C51A1F.C12BF5BE
>
> I've been asked to calculate some estimates to finish processing one
of
> our collections (the non-political papers, photos, memorabilia, etc.
of

the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
> For the terms of participation, please refer to
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to

> Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C51A1F.C12BF5BE

> <head>
> charset=3Dus-ascii">

> <!--
>  /* Style Definitions */
>  p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
>         {margin:0in;
>         margin-bottom:.0001pt;
>         font-size:12.0pt;
>         font-family:"Times New Roman";}
> a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
>         {color:blue;
>         text-decoration:underline;}
> a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
>         {color:#606420;
>         text-decoration:underline;}
> p.MsoAutoSig, li.MsoAutoSig, div.MsoAutoSig
>         {margin:0in;
>         margin-bottom:.0001pt;
>         font-size:12.0pt;
>         font-family:"Times New Roman";}
> span.EmailStyle17
>         {font-family:Arial;
>         color:windowtext;}
> @page Section1
>         {size:8.5in 11.0in;
>         margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
> div.Section1
>         {page:Section1;}
> -->
>
> </head>

> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
> font-family:Arial'>I&#8217;ve been asked to calculate some estimates
to =
> finish
> processing one of our collections (the non-political papers, photos,
> memorabilia, etc. of a former politician) and to re-process another =
> collection
> (political papers and other material of a former politician).
I&#8217;m =

=
> Any

> style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

> style=3D'font-size:

> style=3D'font-size:
> 12.0pt'>University Archivist/Director of Service =

> style=3D'font-size:

> style=3D'font-size:

> style=3D'font-size:

> style=3D'font-size:

> A posting from the Archives &amp; Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored
by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
> For the terms of participation, please refer to
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
> Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt
&lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C51A1F.C12BF5BE--

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES