Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for input on dealing with locks of hair in a manuscript collection.  The consensus was to keep the hair with the correspondence/photo/etc. but isolate it in a "zip-lock" bag or other sealed enclosure.  That makes perfect sense and I am heartened to know that I was on the right track in my thinking.  Thanks, also to the individuals who told me about their specific "hair problems," like the book of hair!

If anyone wants a synopsis of Reponses, let me know and I will post them to the list.  Thanks again to everyone who responded.  As always, this list is great!

Barbara Austen
Manuscript Archivist / Cataloger
Connecticut Historical Society Museum
One Elizabeth Street