Yes,  the difference does seem out of line. But I am sure when it was set up  in the beginning  people thought well if it is printed ... it lingers forever but on TV it will show a few times at most...

Cable has indeed changed some of this though as they can run it once a year for five times during that week they are showing it!

It is a tough  question....

By the way hello  from Glendale Arizona!

Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC

Good Day Colleagues,
I am the archivist at a mid-size museum in Prescott, AZ with a photo
collection of around 100,000 photos which serves a very large geographical
area. Recently, we recieved a request from a producer of the Discovery
Channel to use a still photo in their documentary. Our current commercial
use fee policy is $100 to use per 10,000 copies, (i.e. 50,000 copies=$500).
I have been reviewing ohter repositories policies, and it seems that film
and TV fees are desperatly under-charged. Since the policy at my archives is
based on a production basis, how might one determine the production
(distribution) of a Discovery Channel Documentary? Worldwide publication?
All-Media worldwide publication? What I have found is that most repositories
only charge $200 or less for TV and film fees, and I find this to be under
priced. Please give me some feedback on what you might suggest I do in this
situation; to either change our policy, demand a distribution number for the
documentary to place pricing on, or reserve the right to deal with each
situation on a one by one basis. Thank you.

Ryan Flahive
Archivist, Sharlot Hall Museum
928.445.3122

Thanks,

Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC

See the Museum's Web Site at  www.smecc.org

We are always looking for items to add to the museum's display and ref. library  - please advise if you have anything we can use.

Coury House / SMECC
5802 W. Palmaire Ave.                          Phone    623-435-1522
Glendale Az 85301  USA

CONFIDENZIALE: Questo messaggio e gli eventuali allegati sono confidenziali
e riservati. Se vi è stato recapitato per errore e non siete fra i
destinatari elencati, siete pregati di darne immediatamente avviso al
mittente. Le informazioni contenute non devono essere mostrate ad altri, né
utilizzate, memorizzate o copiate in qualsiasi forma.

CONFIDENTIAL: This  e-mail  and  any attachments are confidential and may
contain reserved information. If  you are not one of the named recipients,
please notify the sender immediately. Moreover, you should not disclose the
contents to any other persons, nor should the information contained be used
for any purpose or stored or copied in any form.