From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Terry Abraham
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 10:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: cost to process a collection

Laurie,

   Four hours per foot seems awfully low to me. I would estimate closer
to 20 per foot for the unprocessed group and ten per foot for the
reprocessing. You might look at our article in American Archivist:

"What is backlog is prologue: a measurement of archival processing," by
Terry Abraham, Stephen E. Balzarini, and Anne Frantilla. The American
Archivist, 48:1 (Winter 1985) 31-44.

  There have been a few other articles since.

    ---Terry

Terry Abraham   Special Collections, University of Idaho
<http://www.lib.uidaho.edu/special-collections/>

the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.