We use record storage boxes from Metal Edge that measure approximately 15 3/4x13 1/4x10 ½. If the original folder being re-housed is an inch thick, it will be re-housed using one archival folder expanded to one inch. Since we use legal-size folders, that can fill up those 12-13 inches pretty quickly, hence my low estimate.

Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Logan, Kevin
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: cost to process a collection - supplies issue[Scanned]

I wonder if we are not confusing what the archival supply catalogs refer to as record storage boxes (15x12x10) with document cases (letter size 12.25x10.25x5 and legal size, 15.25x10.25x5).  The former will hold upwards of 25 folders, depending upon whether they are legal or letter, while the latter holds 8-15 folders.

For what it's worth, the standard for processing that I always followed was that it was possible to completely process 1 cubic foot of records in 8 hours on average.

Kevin Logan

Special Collections Librarian

Lakeland (FL) Public Library