Just to confuse things even more, my sources say that hydrocodone with acetaminiphen (Vicodin or Lortab, and please forgive my spelling) is the most prescribed pharmaceutical.  It's a great pain reliever, but it also is quite pleasant if you don't have to work or otherwise function in life (at least for me)

Again, let me ask about pleasure:  A two-beer buzz is quite nice.  In my last job I interviewed drug users, and they all spoke of the pleasure of the drug, at least at first.  When does a pharmaceutical become a drug? Many of the users I talked with started opioid abuse with Vicodin and Oxycodone.

David Fahey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Good point, Ernie. I just read a news article that called caffeine "the
world's most popular psychoactive drug." Are we weakening the meaning of
the word drug when we apply it to a bottle of Coke, a glass of iced tea,
and a cup of expresso? There is the further complication that the word
drug is used for medicines, both prescription and over the counter. I am
told that lipitor (my nightly pill) is the most prescribed drug in the
world. Should I expect the ADHS to study cholesterol-lowering medication?

David Fahey

At 12:19 PM 3/29/2005, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Might we begin by at least striving towards basic agreement on precisely
>what is a "drug"?
>
>ernie

Maria G. Swora, Ph.D. MPH
Department of Sociology