From Ron Roizen, FYI.  (BTW, The "Four Ls" are "Liver, Lover, Livelihood,
and Law," being the four chief problem areas that in turn occasion seeking
treatment in cases of excessive drinking.)

  _____

From: Ron Roizen [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 3:00 PM
To: 'LORNA WALLACE'
Subject: RE: book

Hi Lorna.

In the late 1970s I did a study on the structure of alcoholism treatment
services in two U.S. cities, San Francisco and Phoenix.  In Phoenix, as it
happened, a "provider" used the Four Ls as a part of the specialized lexicon
of alcoholism treaters in that time and place.  I liked the notion and
reported it in my (co-authored) unpublished report.  Soon afterward, as I
recall, Nick Heather and Ian Robertson saw this language and attributed the
Four Ls to me personally and not to my Phoenix provider source -- in their
book, Controlled Drinking (London, Methuen, 1981).  Their book became quite
popular over time - again, as I recall.  In due course, and thereafter, I
would receive the occasional query about how and why I had come up with this
little model; this would happen perhaps once every three years or so.  Each
time I would explain that in fact the Four Ls were not mine at all but part
of the recovery world's vernacular in Phoenix -- and, for all I knew, in a
wider area by now.  Yet, "Roizen" seemed to stick to the "Four Ls" all the
same.  Incidentally, I believe some thinkers have elaborated Four Ls, now
suggesting one, two, or three more Ls; some have even branched out (gasp!)
into other letters of the alphabet!  Incidentally, Australia seems to have
had the greatest interest in the concept, doubtless because Heather and
Robertson made their homes there (right?), though there may have been other
reasons too I guess.

Thanks for your inquiry, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Ron Roizen

Wallace, Idaho

U.S.A.

  _____