Robin,

    Thanks for the leads. Gray sounds  like an interesting fellow. I spend one summer in Calgary and it's history was very much like the US frontier.

Bobby
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Robin Room
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 3:24 AM
Subject: Re: Introduction

Bobby --
  You might enjoy the works of James H. Gray:  Booze: The Impact of Whiskey on the Prairie West (1974), Red Lights on the Prairies (1986), and -- in another vein -- Bacchanalia Revisited: Western Canada's Boozy Skid to Social Disaster (1982).
   Gray was a temperance-oriented newspaperman who wrote a number of books about the Canadian prairies.  I was impressed when I read the last-named above that he had done his historical homework (not to mention having lived through some of it -- he was born in 1906, was still going strong a decade ago).
   If the Old West ended in the US with the settling of Montana, it ended later on the Canadian prairies. Robin