The term "independent scholar" can also refer to someone who collects
materials that are central to a discipline, and thereby becomes an
expert in a way that's not typical of academic scholars. In many
cases these collectors have jobs that are not related to the
discipline.

An independent scholar can also be a fan or student of a discipline
who works in some non-academic job.

I know one "independent scholar" who is a heart surgeon and rare book
collector. Another works at a desk in a DC government agency. Both
might claim or be given the title if, e.g., they appear at a
conference that is mainly populated by scholars with academic jobs.

Jon