“Independent Scholar” means either someone who does not need a job or (more likely) someone who hasn’t been able to get or keep one.  Ron (who speaks from experience here)

From: Alcohol and Drugs History Society [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robin Room
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 4:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: commentary

Maria --

   Michie Hesselbrock is very real.  She teaches alcohol topics in social work in Connecticut.

http://www.chip.uconn.edu/people/profile%20pages/pe_michiehesselbrock.htm

http://www.advance.uconn.edu/2002/020325/02032501.htm

      Robin

PS: It has to depend on what you are good at. And perhaps also how much you are willing to compromise (like making a living any other way).