How has increased soft drink consumption among the under-35s contributed to the decline of wine-drinking in France?  I take for granted that soft drink consumption has grown.

On Sep 16, 2005, at 11:56 AM, Gerald Groenewald wrote:

My own gut feeling is that this is part of the on-going globalisation of alcoholic drinks, something which has been happening since the early modern period (in Europe, at least): a move away from traditionally 'national' drinks to supposedly 'foreign' ones, e.g. the shift in the Netherlands in the 17-18th centuries from beer drinking to wine and brandy. Thus the traditional divide between northern beer-drinking and southern wine-drinking Europe became less and less evident, and I would imagine that what is now happening in France is a continuance of that trend; an erosion of what is considered 'traditional' drink and a greater democratisation of choice in drink. It would be interesting comparing figures for beer and wine drinking in northern and southern European countries.

Regards,

Gerald Groenewald

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David Fahey
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 5:23 PM
Subject: fewer wine-drinkers in France

Noticed an AP story in today's New York Times re the decline of
wine-drinking in France: almost all the French who drink wine regularly are
over 35, just over half the French population drink wine, and the number of
French wine drinkers has dropped by a million over the last five
years.  May I ask ADHS why?  Comparative data for other countries?  I think
that in the USA wine drinking is more common now than a generation ago, and
beer-drinking and whiskey-drinking are what are in decline.