Dear Members:

    Just following up from David Fahey's note, let  me note the two sessions
that the ADHS will have at the Philadelphia meeting of  the AHA.  You will
find these sessions listed below.  In addition, if  any one would wish to submit
a paper or panel topic to me for the 2007 AHA,  please do so over the coming
months.
    You can contact me at [log in to unmask]
    Thanks very much!
    Sincerely, Scott Haine

AHA 2006 Panels:

Alcohol and Drugs History Society Panels at the American Historical
Association 2006

Friday, January 6

9:30-11:30 a.m. Marriott, Room 405:

Panel 1: New Insights into the Brewing Industry and Temperance  Movements
Chair: W. Scott Haine, University of Maryland University College
‘Smelling of the ale-vat’: philanthropic London brewers and the
mid-Victorian drinking fountain movement
Vanessa  Taylor, Birkbeck College, London
"Irish Publicans, The Gaelic League, and the  Struggle to Reform St.
Patrick's Day in Ireland,  1900-10"
Brad Kadel, University of Maryland University College
“Death and Rebirth: The United States Brewing Industry  1983-2002”
Amy Mittelman, Independent  Scholar, Amherst, Massachusetts
Comment: The Audience

2:30-4:30 p.m. Marriott,  Room 405:
Panel 2: Reexamining the Rhetorics of the Alcohol  Question: Moral Suasion,
Predisposition, and Self Help
Chair: Albert Acena, College of San  Mateo
“A Queer Explanation for Alcoholism: The Correlation of Homosexuality and
Alcoholism in Psychoanalytic and Sexological Discourse, 1880-1935”
Michele Morales, University of Michigan

“Dry Culture’s Faulty Alliances of Rhetoric”
Jason S. Lantzer, Indiana University
Christian Social Sources of AA  morality
James Swan  Tuite
Brown  University, Religious Studies
"Problems in the History and Historiography of  Alcoholics Anonymous"
Jared Lobdell, Pennsylvania State  University, Mont  Alto
Comment: Scott Martin  Bowling Green State University