Dear Members:

    Just following up from David Fahey's note, let me note the two sessions that the ADHS will have at the Philadelphia meeting of the AHA.  You will find these sessions listed below.  In addition, if any one would wish to submit a paper or panel topic to me for the 2007 AHA, please do so over the coming months.
    You can contact me at [log in to unmask]
    Thanks very much!
    Sincerely, Scott Haine

AHA 2006 Panels:

Alcohol and Drugs History Society Panels at the American Historical Association 2006

Friday, January 6

9:30-11:30 a.m. Marriott, Room 405:

Panel 1: New Insights into the Brewing Industry and Temperance Movements

Chair: W. Scott Haine, University of Maryland University College

‘Smelling of the ale-vat’: philanthropic London brewers and the mid-Victorian drinking fountain movement

Vanessa Taylor, Birkbeck College, London

"Irish Publicans, The Gaelic League, and the Struggle to Reform St. Patrick's Day in Ireland, 1900-10"

Brad Kadel, University of Maryland University College

“Death and Rebirth: The United States Brewing Industry 1983-2002”

Amy Mittelman, Independent Scholar, Amherst, Massachusetts

Comment: The Audience

2:30-4:30 p.m. Marriott, Room 405:

Panel 2: Reexamining the Rhetorics of the Alcohol Question: Moral Suasion, Predisposition, and Self Help

Chair: Albert Acena, College of San Mateo

“A Queer Explanation for Alcoholism: The Correlation of Homosexuality and Alcoholism in Psychoanalytic and Sexological Discourse, 1880-1935”

Michele Morales, University of Michigan

“Dry Culture’s Faulty Alliances of Rhetoric”

Jason S. Lantzer, Indiana University

Christian Social Sources of AA morality

James Swan Tuite

Brown University, Religious Studies

"Problems in the History and Historiography of Alcoholics Anonymous"

Jared Lobdell, Pennsylvania State University, Mont Alto

Comment: Scott Martin Bowling Green State University