I posted this CFP a few months ago, but for some unknown reason neglected to send it to this list.  This is a 2nd Call with an extended deadline.

A few months ago I sent out a CFP for the annual Norlands conference (June 8-10) on the history and culture of Northern New England. This year we were trying to attract papers that would allow us to consider whether the region was unique. We asked for both comparative papers and papers focused on one area with the idea that those might be combined with others to form interesting sessions.

This is a followup Call with a new deadline of April 15. In addition to the proposed papers which are themselves comparative, we have proposals that deal with:

the Abanaki contributions to history

early film viewings in Portland, Maine

an early 19th century Maine debating society

timber interests in 18th century Portsmouth, NJ

the migrations of the Washburn family: Paris, London, Paraguay, Wisc., La., etc

Kerouac and northern New England

a visual portrayal of a Maine farm in 1905

If you are interested in being in Maine at a lovely time of year and have a proposal that might be combined with any of the above, please send a vita and a 150 word (or less) abstract by email to Billie Gammon ([log in to unmask]). Or mail to her at:

42 Hathaway Hill Road, Livermore, ME 04253

Phone: (207) 897-2236

Questions may be addressed to Billie, or to Rob Lively: [log in to unmask]

And here follows a part of the original CFP:

This conference is unique for a number of reasons. It is held at the historic Washburn family residence in central Maine. The audience is composed of knowledgeable (and vocal) local residents and those presenting papers. All people giving papers or chairing sessions are housed, cared for, and in general pampered by local people.

****

CALL FOR PAPERS

"Northern New England: Seen from Within

and from Without"

--where we will highlight the history and culture of the region via

contrasts with other regions.

TO BE HELD AT

THE WASHBURN-NORLANDS LIVING HISTORY CENTER

290 Norlands Road, Livermore, ME 04253

June 8 - 10, 2006

The conference is sponsored by the WASHBURN HUMANITIES CENTER in association with the University of Maine at Farmington.

With this year's broad theme we are seeking the participation of both

professional and lay scholars and students from across the spectrum of academic disciplines.

We welcome the submission of complete two-or three-paper sessions as

well as single papers. Where appropriate, we will pair papers looking at other regions with papers looking at Northern New England. We also encourage presenters from previous conferences to return, present a paper, and meet old friends.

Previously published material should not be submitted.

The conference will be held at theWashburn-Norlands Living History Center, a 445 acre site containing a restored one room school house, farmer's cottage, free standing library (housing the extensive Washburn family collections), a 200 seat 1828 Universalist Church, and the 1867 Washburn mansion.