On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:08:58 -0600, Wood, Thomas J <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As soon as I read this message, I asked one of my student assistants (a
>history graduate student) if he knew who Walesa or Sousa were. He
>didn't.

I asked our Graduate Student employees if they knew who John Philip Sousa
was and seemed to know a bit about him, so I guess we are OK! :)

All joking aside, this is exactly what libraries have been facing for the
past few years. The expectations and level of involvement of younger
generations do not fit in the service model libraries have established over
time. As we try to foster log term relationships with these kids (they go to
school today, they will be our primary research community and supporters
tomorrow) we also have to redefine how we make collections accessible on
their terms.

Thanks for the early funny!

Adriana P. Cuervo
Assistant Archivist for Music and Fine Arts
Sousa Archives and Center for American Music
238 Harding Band Building, MC-524
1103 South Sixth Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Tel. (217) 244-9309