In considering whether people like to read for pleasure, read in-depth
accounts of current events, etc., also keep in mind what the Myers
Briggs Test Indicators show.  Most  of the studies that I have read
suggest that Introverts make up some 25 to 30 per cent of the
population.  The rest are Extroverts.    I suspect many people who go
into archives, library, and history studies are Introverts.  As are
some lawyers, auditors, engineers, etc.  (Remember, Introvert doesn't
mean shy or timid in MBTI, it means how you process information, etc.)
When tested in my workplace, I came out as an ISTJ.  I answered the
questions as if I were in a work setting.  I don't know if my type
would have come out quite that way had I projected to purely social
settings, maybe so, maybe not quite.

For an interesting article about MBTI and one about Introverts in a
world of Extroverts, see
http://www.workforce.com/section/06/feature/23/57/09/
and
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch

I suspect people pick their hobbies, what they do for leisure and
relaxation, in part due to their temperament and MBTI.  It wouldn't
surprise me if a very high percentage of Archives List subscribers were
people who read for pleasure.  But it's useful to keep in mind that
we're in the minority!  Any of you who deal a lot with the public
already know that, LOL.

Thanks for the interesting discussion today, all, and thanks Dean for
getting the ball rolling!  I hope to see more threads like this one!!

Maarja