That people who participate in listservs represent a rather narrow cross
section of shouldn't be construed as negative: isn't that the point of
list-servs--to provide a means of posting information to professionals (or
aspiring professionals) in a particular field?

This particular list-serv encompasses much more than most professional list
servs, providing a forum for people to discuss, pose questions, air
concerns. I'm at a disadvantage, as I missed the initial email that sparked
this discussion but read the last couple of responses. I can only reaffirm
Maarja's response: as an historian and full-time archivist for 7 years, the
experience and knowledge acquired in history is invaluable working as an
archivist. Knowledge most certainly enables one to process more thoroughly
which assists researchers.

In terms of interesting young people in history, it all depends on how one
presents material. When one teaches, one hopefully possesses enthusiasm
about a topic, and the mark of a good teacher is being able to adapt to the
classroom - to present information in a way that captures students'
attention. I despised American history in high school because of the manner
in which it was taught. But because of being inspired by a gifted
professor, I went on to earn a doctoral degree. The secret to interesting
young people lies in demonstrating history's applicability to their daily
lives -- not an easy task, always, and finding one element of history that
resonates with them. Are they musically inclined? Start off by assigning
something about the development of music and then transition to political
trends in society at large. I taught American and World history at the
college level for three years; it is definitely possible to motivate young
people to be interested in history (high school and middle school students
are easier to motivate). It can be, however, utterly exhausting finding
creative ways to present material---- to snag their attention. In general
young people, like older people students like learning about an individual
-- biography is one way to encourage an interest in history.

Young people can be inspired by and learn to truly appreciate history -
it's all in the method of engaging them. The more one knows the easier it
is to find exciting examples in history to engage young people whether
through teaching, lecturing, creating exhibits, etc. Good luck to whomever
needs to help inspiring interest!

Marilyn

At 10:46 AM 3/7/2006 -0700, Emily Brown wrote:
>Maarja,
>Thank you for your ameliorating response. I sometimes feel like people
>who participate in these listservs are a very narrow cross-section of
>society.
>
>You are quite gracious and patient.
>
>Emily Brown
>
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the
>Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
>For the terms of participation, please refer to
>http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to [log in to unmask]

>Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>

Marilyn Morgan
Manuscript Processor
Schlesinger Library on the History of Women
Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University
10 Garden Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: 617 384-8008