Thank you for your kind response, Emily!  Gracious and patient, wow,
that is nice.  I'll be sure to save it it case I ever need to show it
to my Mom.  (Hahahaha.  Actually, Mom and I get along very well!)

As for Listservs, yeah, the strengths of professional Lists can also be
their weaknesses.  I'm in a one person function and I love the sense of
community I sometimes get from reading the Archives List and the
Recmgmt-L.  But I also have to step back sometimes and remind myself
that there definitely is a whole other world out there.  My world when
I worked in NARA (where almost everyone was a history major) is very
different from my world at GAO.  At GAO, I am the sole historian.  The
GAO analysts' majors range from accounting to economics, social
sciences, public administration, etc.

As GAO states on its website, "More than half of our staff have
doctoral or master's degrees from leading universities in such areas as
public administration, public policy, law, business, computer science,
accounting, economics, and the social sciences."  It's a cool group of
people.  Our recruiting page is at http://www.gao.gov/jobopp.htm .
Scroll down to the section and "why work at GAO" and you'll see the
part from which I quoted.  My history articles are at
http://www.gao.gov/about/history/splash.htm .

Thanks for your nice note!  I hope you and others will continue to post
on the List and remind us to keep our horizons broad!

Maarja