We are redacting all social security numbers--re patients, staff, or
anyone else.  We have no way of knowing if the person is alive or dead,
and it would take too long to look it up.

My question is:  Why do we have to redact these and other bits of personal
information, when similar records from my institution ending up in other
repositories are not being redacted at all?

Lesley W. Brunet
Manager, Historical Resources Center
Research Medical Library
University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
713-792-8220
713-563-3650 (fax)