Maine requires local government agencies to have a vault.  Historical
societies that accept local government records into their holdings must be
approved as alternative repositories (this approval comes from the Archives
Advisory Board), but they are not required to have vaults.

The Rules for Disposition of Local Government Records (Maine State Archives
Administrative Rules Chapter 10)specify NFPA 232, Protection of Records, as
the standard for vaults at local government agencies.  When a local
government official or historical society official asks me for a source of
guidance that's not in a publication that must be purchased from NFPA, I
usually refer the person to http://www.cslib.org/vaults.htm .

Here are the minimum guidelines for physical storage that an alternative
repository needs to meet (for the complete requirements, see
ftp://ftp.state.me.us/pub/sos/cec/rcn/apa/29/255/255c010.doc - specifically,
Section 10):

	1)	Provide security to prevent the loss of records both in
storage and in reference areas. This shall at a minimum include locks on all
doors and windows, plus an intruder alarm system and a fire alarm system.
Minimum security shall also include direct supervision of researchers at all
times when records are available for access.

	2)	Provide storage facilities situated in a physically safe
location (i.e., not located in a flood plain; not located next to a
hazardous chemical storage area; etc.). These facilities should have
heating/ventilation/air conditioning capable of maintaining temperatures
between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and of holding relative humidity to
less than 50 percent.

[log in to unmask] is our senior processing archivist.  He can be very
helpful with questions about storage and handling of permanent records.  I'm
the "designated hitter" for local records matters, and I'm
[log in to unmask]  With all of that said, though, posting to this list
is one excellent way to get information from a wide variety of experts!  I
do that myself, from time to time.  <g>

Best,

Nina

Nina M. Osier, Director