  From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of Dean Debolt
  Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 11:56 AM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Re: linear feet

  Actually an easier rule is 1 foot equals 1 foot.    For example, libraries
measure linear feet of

  Children's books, though most are taller and deeper than standard books.
If you use a

  "Hollinger" box as an example (per Yale).they give a measurement of .41
linear feet.

  Since the box is 5 inches wide.5 inches into 12 inches yields the same.
So truthfully,

  translating cubic feet to linear feet is a one to one ratio.   We normally
just count the shelves,

  even though some have small gaps that we can't fill.

  Dean