In addition to what the Treasury Department says, a major reason why a V
would be used for U in an inscription cut in stone is that the angle of
a V is a lot easier to chisel than the curve of a U. If you see Latin
inscriptions on the Roman era buildings in Italy, you'll see the same
convention.

Christine

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Information Services Librarian
Conrad N. Hilton Library:
http://www.ciachef.edu/admissions/about/library.asp
The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1322
fax (845) 451-1092

Learn more about The World's Premier Culinary College
at www.ciachef.edu

>>> "Bergeron, Paul" <[log in to unmask]> 03/01/06 3:47 PM >>>
We get all kinds of interesting questions here at City Hall.  (A piece
of advice: think hard before including a municipal telephone listing
that says "City Information.")

Some of our old buildings -- I'm thinking of a bank right now -- have
"Nashua" chiseled into their facades as in: NASHVA, instead of NASHUA.

I've seen this practice quite a number of times.

Anybody know why a "V" would have been used when the correct spelling
called for a "U"?  (A high school student is waiting for us to call
back
with an answer...if we can get one.)

[And no bad-spelling, "Kansas City Chefs" kind of jokes, please.  It's
not Fryday, yet.)
Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street
Nashua, NH 03060
Telephone: 603/589-3010
Fax: 603/589-3029
http://www.gonashua.com/

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES