My parents can be included in the growing list of role models whom have
given their children a lifelong love of learning. When I was in
elementary school in the late 1960's and early 1970's, there was a large
art museum where we lived and my parents took myself and my brother
there repeatedly. At the age of 9, I knew the importance of Rembrandt
and Renoir and loved them already. We moved the summer I was 10 and
there was no art museum in that town but we had several small history
museums including the home of a leader of the Whiskey Rebellion. The
admission for a child at that time was .25 and I would often walk to it
(a distance of a few blocks) and pay my quarter and take to the tour. As
a girl scout, I cleaned up the garden in another of the museums and
other times I could be found in the public library checking out stacks
of fiction and biographies.

I was always encouraged and allowed to pursue educational and cultural
pursuits and I am a better person for it. I will always be thankful for
my early years.

Jean