Excellent point, Christine (pun intended).  Another reader said the same thing in an off list message to me and Paul yesterday evening.

This is such an interesting list, you never know what you're going to hear and learn about.  Thanks for posting!

Maarja

>>> Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer <[log in to unmask]> 3/2/2006 8:56:48 AM >>>
In addition to what the Treasury Department says, a major reason why a V
would be used for U in an inscription cut in stone is that the angle of
a V is a lot easier to chisel than the curve of a U. If you see Latin
inscriptions on the Roman era buildings in Italy, you'll see the same
convention.

Christine

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Information Services Librarian
Conrad N. Hilton Library:
http://www.ciachef.edu/admissions/about/library.asp
The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1322
fax (845) 451-1092

Learn more about The World's Premier Culinary College
at www.ciachef.edu

>>> "Bergeron, Paul" <[log in to unmask]> 03/01/06 3:47 PM >>>
We get all kinds of interesting questions here at City Hall.  (A piece
of advice: think hard before including a municipal telephone listing
that says "City Information.")

Some of our old buildings -- I'm thinking of a bank right now -- have
"Nashua" chiseled into their facades as in: NASHVA, instead of NASHUA.

I've seen this practice quite a number of times.

Anybody know why a "V" would have been used when the correct spelling
called for a "U"?  (A high school student is waiting for us to call
back
with an answer...if we can get one.)

[And no bad-spelling, "Kansas City Chefs" kind of jokes, please.  It's
not Fryday, yet.)
Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street
Nashua, NH 03060
Telephone: 603/589-3010
Fax: 603/589-3029
http://www.gonashua.com/

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES