Thank you for sending this on to the List, Martha.  I did not know Ms. Hunter but was touched by the account of her brave battle against cancer.  The article said Ms. Hunter had continued working in the Manhattan DA's office until a few days before entering the hospital.  This brought a tear to my eye as it reminded me of how my twin sister Eva Krusten worked from home for the National Archives until shortly before her death from cancer (melanoma) at the age of 51 in 2002.

I admire the dedication of public servants such as Ms. Hunter and my sister.  It's easy to take potshots at bureaucrats but there are many good, dedicated public servants among them.  You reminded us of that today.

Thanks again for sending along this story.

Maarja (former NARA archivist and GAO Historian)

>>> Martha Foley <[log in to unmask]> 3/3/2006 11:06 AM >>>

Sherry Hunter, spokeswoman for Manhattan DA, dies at 54
--------------------

February 10, 2006, 5:44 PM EST

NEW  YORK (AP) _ Sherry Hunter, a spokeswoman for the Manhattan  district
attorney's office, died Friday after fighting breast cancer for  nearly
five years. She was 54.

Hunter died at New York-Presbyterian  Hospital, where she was admitted
about a week ago. She had continued working  in the Manhattan district
attorney's office as the deputy director of public  information until a
few days before entering the hospital.

Her  husband, retired New York Post reporter Mike Pearl, said funeral
arrangements  were pending, but her body would be cremated and her ashes
scattered on the  beach at Montauk, Long Island, a place she loved.

Born into a military  family in the Panama Canal Zone, Hunter lived in
Germany and Egypt before the  family settled in Atlanta. She studied
English and religion at Stephens  College in Columbia, Mo., and
literature at Oxford University in England.

After moving to New York City, she worked at an advertising agency  and
as an archivist at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. In 1998, she became  a
public information officer in the Queens district attorney's office,  and
in 2000 she became a spokeswoman for the Manhattan district attorney.

Hunter also taught yoga for years at the Greenwich Village branch  of
Gilda's Club, named for comedian Gilda Radner, who died of  ovarian
cancer in 1989.

She is survived by Pearl, her husband of 16  years; her stepdaughter, Amy
Pearl, of Brooklyn; her sister, Robin Nash, of  Fairburn, Ga.; and two
nieces.

Copyright (c) 2006, The  Associated Press

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES