Interesting but not surprising <sigh>.  Why is ignorance of foreign and
American history not surprising to me?  Well --

1.  I recently read Tom Fenton's book, _Bad News_, which discusses the
decline of the reporting international news on U.S. broadcast TV
networks.  See
http://shrinkster.com/cpj .
Growing up, I remember watching numerous serious documentaries on TV
(anyone else remember David Wolper's productions; NBC White Paper
reports; "CBS Reports," etc?  Check out the tv museum entry at
http://shrinkster.com/cpn )

Now we mostly seem to get sensational tabloid fodder on TV.

2.  As for U.S. history, consider
http://hnn.us/blogs/comments/14405.html
which is a blog entry by Thomas Reeves, a former U.S. history
professor.  Reeves can be a bit cranky sounding, and I don't know what
to make of some of his disputes with former colleagues, described in
other blog entries.  But what he says in this particular blog entry is
quite interesting.  I cringed when I read the quote from the student
who said, "I hate old stuff."

Maarja