A most interesting thread.

There are probably quite a few people in the world who would have trouble finding there way out of a paper bag. "There are many educated fools in the land" was something my best mentor stated several occasions.

I think there are a lot of reasons why history isn't presented well, received well, or embraced by some. If we were all history buffs, it might be a pretty dull world (nah, not really).

 A few of my observations  include:
1) many parents have no interest and therefore will not foster in interest in history in their children; 2) trips to Disneyland and themeparks get greater emphasis than something educational; 3) quality of teachers, in general, may have declined (the brightest women have a lot more lucrative and challenging opportunities elsewhere, for which I am glad) (many high school classmates who are now teachers, I'd be reluctant to have them teach my kids);  4) coach/history teacher was a common combo when I was in junior high, with seemingly a lot more enthusiasm on teacher's part for sports; 5) decline in entire family sharing a sit-down meal at home, which would facilitate dialog; 6)  enthusiastic teachers/profs of history can be infectious;  7) limited book selection at Wal-Mart (regrettably, some people can't expand their horizons beyond Wal-Mart); 8)  excessive viewing of non-educational venues; 9) lack of interest in why things are the way they are or what caused something to be; 10) lack of good history writers for young people? (Dava Sobel and Barbara Tuchman write seductively and bring their topics to life, Tuchman weaving so beautifully the many dynamics that characterize history); 11) Steven Ambrose was pre-med until he took an elective history course.....he was hooked, and never turned back.

The Nashville paper often features someone trying to turn their lives around. One minority female who was pursuing a GED, if I recall, was shocked to learn of the Holocaust and find such discrimination on such a scale. She said it made her cry to think that the Holocaust had happened. I wondered what TV she viewed as a child.

I've had/seen: 1) grad students ask me if Germany was in Europe; 2) guidance counselors delight at placing a D-student teacher graduate in a teaching position...quite a feather in their cap?; 3)  seemingly eager students wishing to check out classics and good reading materials, only to be turned down because the parent's had run up huge library fines;  4) veteran grade school teachers who did not know where the late Winter Olypmics were held, and what religious relic that town is noted for;  5) etc., etc.

Overall, I try to find redeeming qualities in people. Maybe if history isn't their thing, they might have some other quality which will contribute to society in a positive way.

Sharon Lee Butcher, MLS, MSO
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library
100 Kindel Drive, Ste C212