From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Danielle Stuckle
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 12:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: spray coatings for pictures

Dear list:

I have a question regarding Krylon Acrylic Clear Coat.  A relative sent
me an article where the author recommends using this spray on photos to
protect them.  I'm including the article text here, although I have no
idea where this article might have appeared or who wrote it.  I'm
dubious, but admit I have never heard of the product before.  Hopefully
some knowledgeable conservator can clue me in on the use and/or
misuse...thank you.

Original article:
How long will digital photos last.....?

I have had my digital camera since 2000.... I LOVE my digital cameras!
Yes, I now own 2 of these babies.

Shortly after receiving my first digital camera, I went to a seminar
workshop on how to use my new Olympus Camera. At that workshop, I
learned many unusual new techniques, but the one that stuck by me has
been the one on archiving my photos.

The gentlemen holding the seminar told us that when archiving our photos
either for display in a frame on the table, wall or where ever.. Or as
in scrapbooking, archiving is important. They demonstrated using a
Krylon Acrylic Clear coat spray..... On the can it even says that it is
suggested for documents, photos, artwork, etc.... I have used it ever
since that seminar.... I have to admit that my business cards stand up
to moisture much better, my photos sittingon the coffee table in the sun
seem to be holding up much better....

I felt it was the number 1 reason to use the product to archive my
photos. A fantastic secret that I felt it was worth the $25 seminar fee.
The second excellent hint at protecting my camera, was to use a sock
cuff over the camera, even though I have an excellent camera bag, but it
protects the screen on the back of the camera, especially those times I
slip it into my purse or pocket for some quick unexpected shots.....
Well worth my $25 fee...

Since that seminar, I have heard many people who immediately suggest
that same Krylon Acrylic Clear coat for photos. Dampness will not effect
them, either....

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES