Hi Linda,

Are you ready? From a Records Management perspective you now have two original records. From a policy perspective I recommend you designate the most current version of your electronic record as the "record" or archival copy. There are two primary reasons to keep the original paper copy (apart from any unstated legal reason) for convenience and because they contain intrinsic value. The hardcopy exists so there is little additional cost to maintaining them for the sake of convenience. There is a cost associated so keep an eye on it. The intrinsic value goes to the idea that two basic principles work in imaging these types of archival records. The records that have intrisic value (the declaration of independence) and those that have value due to their total volume. You keep the records in hard copy that have intrisic value even thogh they have been imaged and use discretion in maintaining records that do not have intrinsic value.

Chris Flynn
-----Original Message-----
From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Linda Rothbart
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Digital records vs. Hardcopy ... keep both?

I am working on a small association archives. We archive items such as annual reports, minutes of meeting, brochures, publications, etc. Many

items are now available both in hardcopy and pdf files....is there any reason to keep the hardcopy if we have the pdf file? Any thoughts or

reference to literature on this topic would be greatly appreciated...Thanks, Linda Rothbart

*Rothbart

                   Information Solutions

Linda Rothbart

1557 Trails Edge Lane