Our local newspaper reported an incident at Athens University on March 2nd;

in their papers on March 3rd.   There was a lockdown and the bomb squad was

called in to blow up a bicycle that had a sticker on it “this bike is a pipe bomb.”

Our paper reported the student was arrested and charged with inciting a riot, but

that charges were dismissed when they discovered that “this bike is a pipe bomb”

is the name of a local rock band here in Pensacola, Florida.

I hate to say this but our town gets in the news for the weirdest things.   We had an

attempted break-in of a local restaurant last week, several windows smashed in entry

doors.   The surveillance cameras caught a guy and his clothes.   The next day about

10:30, an officer is looking at the damage and sees a guy stroll across the parking

lot, wearing the same clothes (colors, etc.).   The guy comes over to see what the

patrolman is doing, and it turns out to be the same guy who they arrest.   He had

such a hangover that he didn’t remember doing this, but had wandered down the

street after waking up at home, to see what all the commotion was about!   I’m sure

we’ll hear about this on “dumb criminals” as our local cops love to call in stuff to

that show.

Dean

Dean DeBolt

University Librarian, Special Collections

John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida

11000 University Parkway

Pensacola, FL  32514-5750

850-474-2213