Dear List Members,

I have received a research request that I would love a little help on.  A
member of a historical society asked me where official records would be
filed for a former “whiskey bonding barn.” Unfortunately, she has no dates
when the barn was used for this function.

Doing a little research online has produced the following: “bonding dates
to the early days of bottling when a law (1894) permitted distillers to
warehouse packaged whiskey without paying tax until it was released for
sale. The strength standard was 100 proof and this is still referred to as
bottled in bond.”

Does anyone have any ideas on which direction I can go with this?

Many thanks,

Penny

Penny Cliff
Director/Archivist