We are in the process of imaging quite a few books from the 18th
century, and would like to run the files through an OCR engine. Many of
the books contain typeface conventions (ligatures, long "S"s) that are
making this difficult. I've heard rumors that software such as ABBYY
Finereader and Prime Recognition are "trainable" to recognize these
characters properly. Has anyone been able to do this successfully on a
large scale? Are their other options for converting arcane letterings
into accurate text files?

Thanks, in advance.

-Tom

Thomas Blake