From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Shirley S Albright
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 9:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: male or female?

Dear Medwyn,

"August" is usually a female name, but anything goes today.    In the absence of other clues, what would be so impolite about just addressing the person as "Dear August"?   It may not be a formal greeting, but the very nature of 'it's' request seems to indicate formality isn't an issue - getting information IS.    I have the same problem with arriving inquiries from asian, african..... or even Welsh constitutents   :-)

Shirley Albright