See
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/19/AR2006031

900944_pf.html
or
http://shrinkster.com/d63
for article, "Nixon's Library Joins the Club" in the Washington Post
(registration required), March 20, 2006.

The article states that the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda, California
will join NARA's system of Presidential Libraries this summer. A few
extracts for those who are unable to access the article:

"Some historians are concerned that the records transfer might increase
the Nixon family's influence over the important papers and tapes that
researchers have had access to in Maryland. Also, they said, asking
taxpayers to foot the bill for the construction of the storage facility
at the library is unusual."
***************
"Stanley I. Kutler, a University of Wisconsin historian, said the
construction money is a return on an investment the foundation made in
some of Washington's most expensive lobbyists three years ago in a bid
to acquire Nixon's records and win acceptance into the presidential
library system."
******************
"Federal archivists processing the Nixon materials in Maryland dickered
for years with the ex-president's representatives over which records
should be categorized as "personal" and returned to Nixon or his
estate. A long registry of people had to be given a chance to review
any tapes or papers mentioning them that were about to be released.

"Over 20 years or more, they have been obstacles to access in almost
every way they can," said [historian Anna] Nelson, referring to the
Nixon estate and foundation."
********************
"The concerns of historians on an emotional basis is completely
understandable," [Nixon foundation executive director John] Taylor
said. "The course of the Nixon White House records since 1974 has been
fraught with friction and controversy and litigation on several sides.
And one of the virtues of what's about to happen is that we hope and
trust that that period is coming to an end. . . . Looking forward, I
don't think there's any basis for concern. Indeed, I know there is no
basis for concern."

Kutler, who sued to force the public disclosure of more than 200 hours
of Nixon's tapes, is not as confident.

"I have great difficulty believing that the guarantees that the
Archives will really be running the place will come true," he said.
"Look, we've had 30 years of these people dealing from the bottom of
the deck. There is one set of rules for everybody else, and there's one
set for them. . . . Everything should have been out by now. I just
think there are going to be further delays."

[END EXTRACTS]

Maarja (former NARA Nixon tapes archivist, 1976-1990)