If anyone can help with this, the Alaska State Archives will be grateful:

We are disbanding some large cloth bound ledgers and boxing contents, as a space saving measure.  We're throwing the old covers away.

The binders are the large loose-bound kind that have a hole in the top of the spine of the volume.  Inside the hole is a rod.  If you have the right tool, you can twist the rod to open the binding and remove the pages.

Trouble is, we haven't got the tool, and so far, haven't been able to find a socket wrench that will fit.

Those who have worked with large ledgers probably will recognize the tool.  It usually looks like a key.  The lower business end is flat metal, bent, to make a square socket.  You put the square socket over the end of the rod and twist the key.  PESTO!!  The binding separates and you can get at the pages.

Anyone who has a such a tool and is willing to lend or give it to us, or anyone who can name a supplier, please contact me.  Thanx.

Regards,

Larry Hibpshman, Archivist 2
Alaska State Archives
141 Willoughby Avenue
POB 11055
Juneau, AK 99811-0525141 Willoughby Avenue