Quoting Susan Potter <[log in to unmask]>:

> Good Morning Collective Wisdom,
>
> I am doing some research on bands that performed in Williams Park, St.
> Petersburg, Florida.  One of those bands was the Royal Scotch Highlanders
> Band.   Roy Smith and Frank Pierce organized the Royal Scotch Highlanders
> Band in Kinston, Ontario in 1912, and the band performed daily concerts
> during the winter season in St. Petersburg until 1928.  I think they first
> performed here in about 1918 or so.  Does anyone know anything about this
> group or why it didn't return to St. Petersburg after 1928?

They might have disbanded. There's an online Pinellas necrology index
that says the conductor, Roy Smith died in 1933.  I browsed around a
bit and see that Karl King wrote a march dedicated to the band (well,
he wrote a lot of marches and generally dedicated them to someone).
Thought I'd find something about them in the Redpath Chautauqua
collection--but didn't. The ABA collection at the University of
Maryland mentions the band in percussionist John Heney's papers.  He
left them to join the Kiltie Band, and later, Sousa.  With the seasons
overlapping, a lot of musicians played in more than one ensemble.
Tubist Fred Pfaff, who played with Sousa, the Cities Service Band of
America, etc. retired to St. Pete and played in the orchestras and
bands there for years.

Carole Nowicke